Expecting Nothing, Wanting Everything

by Dee Newman
I kissed her cheek as she turned it to me. I think I would have gone through a great deal to kiss her cheek. But, I felt that the kiss was given to the coarse common boy as a piece of money might have been, and that it was worth nothing. – Charles Dickens
True enough
I went to considerable trouble
(in vain)
to get myself involved
And was, perhaps
playing some variation
of "Great Expectations"
But, the facts remain
the fire burned
and the cauldron bubbled
long before I realized
there were contacts
in your eyes

Yeah, long before
the Art was unveiled
or revealed as artificial

Believe me though
if I'd suspected for a moment
from the outset
if I'd had but the slightest hint
a mere, yet
clear inkling of your intent

. . . if I'd had only known

I would have gladly
brought them to you, myself
upon a tray
and we could have forgone
the humiliating foreplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment