Beyond the Nets

by Dee Newman

I’d been down awhile and yet
Was still reaching for extremes
Out there beyond the nets
Where the long views open to dreams.
With no hope of belonging
To anyone but me,
I had, at last, released the longing
And found some serenity.

It was then I saw her
With Tjitska by her side
And my heart swelled within me
To much to hold or hide
Yet, May turn to June
And then June to July
And when, at last, she’d found me
It was time to say good-bye.

But somehow, the night bound us,
Together and alone,
And as heaven fell around us
She rolled away the stone.
Don’t know how it happen –
Can’t help but wonder why.
Was it stardust or an illusion
That opened up the sky?

If only I had held her
In time and not in space,
If only I had chosen
To climb and not to chase,
Perhaps, we’d both be wishing
For another time and place –
Perhaps, I’d still be kissing
Those freckles on her face.

Yes, I’ve been down awhile and yet
I’m still reaching for extremes
Out here beyond the nets
Where the long views open to dreams.
With no hope of belonging
To anyone but me,
Will I ever released this longing
And find some serenity?

No comments:

Post a Comment